I wanted to share with you something I stumbled upon this evening whilst trying to get rid of the following ingredients from my cupboard:
- Baking Chocolate Squares
- A bag of frozen blueberries
- A half-empty bottle of Shiraz
This is how most of my cooking experiments come to fruition, by the way: finding ways to get rid of crap in the pantry.
What came about is similar to something called a “deconstructed” dessert, but, as I don’t believe in all that post-modern nonsense, I shall term it a “metaphysically re-composed” dessert.
Metaphysically Re-Composed Chocolate Biscuits and Gravy
Serves 8. Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes.
It is essentially a fun combination of the above parts into a “new” take on biscuits and gravy as a dessert.
1. In a pot, mix the following:
- 2 cups of frozen blueberries
- 2 cups Shiraz or other red wine
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
2. Stir until boiling and heated thoroughly.
3. Add 5 squares of bakers chocolate to pot and stir until completely melted.
4. Pour 1/2 of the remaining contents to a mixing bowl.
5. Add 2 teaspoons of cornstarch to chocolate mix (mix the cornstarch into a small amount of water BEFORE adding to pot) on stove and heat until thickened into “gravy”
It should look something like this:
Then, remove it from the heat and set aside.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
7. In mixing bowl, add the following:
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 1/4-1/2 cups of flour
- 1 stick of butter (1/2 a cup)
8. Mix until thoroughly combined.
9. Grease baking sheet and shape dough into about 8 or 9 biscuits.
10. Bake biscuits for 14-15 minutes.
11. Pour gravy on top and serve while hot!
Yours in Christ,
Br. James Dominic, OP